Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Visiting



Our last day in Japan was very special for many reasons. I will tell you about the first one in this post.
Before I even knew I am going to visit Japan I started following another fern and orchid enthusiast on Instagram. She was from Tokyo. She in return followed me.
So as soon as I knew I am going to Japan I asked if she would like to meet and give an interview about her hobby. I was very exited to be invited to her place. 
So after more than 3 months I am walking with three beautiful Japanese women and my friend Giedre in the streets in the outskirts of Tokyo. 
People grow vegetables in their yards and persimmon fruits shine like lamps everywhere.
The house is perfect. High ceilings allow to hang the gigantic staghorn ferns wherever one wishes.
The girls are busy preparing ramen for lunch and me and Masako have a chat. 
I find out she is 39 years old, married and has two sons. Currently she works at a small system development company.
She remembers she got interested in orchids one year ago. A white Cymbidium melted her heart last January. That's how it all started.
Masako has around 35 orchids and as many staghorn ferns, also some succulents. She loves orchids for their bizarre looks and vitality. Even non blooming orchids are nice to look at, because of their bulbs. Her favorite orchid right now is Dendrobium aphyllum. Masako got it from the wife of her master of staghorn ferns.
I ask how growing orchids in summer and winter differ and she tells me that the winter in Tokyo is cold and very dry. She doesn't have a green house, so the living room is full of plants. The summer of Tokyo is hot with strong sunshine. And Masako is happy to be able to grow plants freely outside. But as most orchid growers she envies the people in Thailand
I find out that Masako's family is indifferent to her hobby. They don't hate nor love it (ha, just like mine). But she smiles and says she hopes her sons will one day help her water the plants.
Because the never ending watering is the most frustrating thing in orchid cultivation, says Masako.
I am curious if she visits orchid forums and shows. She does visit orchid shows often, but tells me that for now growing orchids is the hobby of the elderly in Japan.

Here are some advises for people who might get interested in growing orchids and staghorn ferns. 
・Plants are not interior goods, so make a habit of watering.
・Growing orchids and staghorn ferns is very similar. Let's take the challenge!






The scull here is not a real one. I really liked it!
Platycerium ridleyi is one of the most difficult staghorn fern species to grow. I hope this little one becomes a big and strong plant!
Ant plant dischidia.




The lunch was amazing. We got some tips on food making. Also some very special desserts.
The growing sanseveria collection.
Look at the perfect chandelier!
I hope me and the girls will meet again and we will visit some of the Japanese orchid and staghorn nurseries.





No comments: